Baboon Pirates

Scribbles and Scrawls from an unrepentant swashbuckling primate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

19th Century Earworms

I Need A Short Sharp Shock!

I picked up a new copy of 'Topsy-Turvy', the Mike Leigh film about the Gilbert & Sullivan comic opera 'The Mikado'.

It's one of my favorite films, mostly due to the excruciating detail that went into replicating everyday life in Victorian London, and also the excellent characters and set design.  The G&S soundtrack?  Just the icing on the cake, really...

You get a pretty good coverage of the tunes from 'Mikado', but also some lengthy snippets from other G&S works like 'The Sorceror', and 'Princess Ida'.

The downside?  I can't stop humming/singing those tunes.  It's been 4 days now...